Some fellow blockchain nerds seem to have helped kickstart what could be a major breakthrough solution to the current coronavirus COVID-19 crisis that has engulfed the globe.
The two noted blockchain industry players fired up a started a media storm followed by a new repository online for medical professionals and scientists to crowdsource intelligence and data to help solve the pandemic.
Last week, a well-known blockchain investor from Blocktown Capital, James Todaro tweeted to a paper he and fellow blockchain aficionado and founder of IKU Founder Gregory Rigano wrote on March 13, 2020 (the original has been taken down by Google), that an 85-year-old malaria drug called chloroquine (and hydroxychloroquine) was a potential treatment and preventative against the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.
Elon Musk picked up on the tweet on March 16, 2020, and it’s now raging through the media, with US President Donald Trump also echoing that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine were both potential solutions during a March 19, 2020 press meeting.
Musk followed up with:
Hydroxychloroquine probably better https://t.co/FWn2kh1LZx pic.twitter.com/wQODHiFeWT
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 17, 2020
To top it off, a French scientist, Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, recently conducted a controlled clinical study has shown that 100 per cent of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment.
In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.
Forbes has also reported that Hydroxychloroquine was determined to be effective in killing the deadly bug in laboratory experiments, citing findings published March 9 in the Clinical Infectious Diseases journal.
The has now led to a new website from Todaro and Rigano called CovidTrial.io – An Open Data Clinical Trial for COVID-19 Prevention. The project is set up for an independent group of scientists and physicians working to share data and work on an open-data clinical trial for the prevention of COVID-19, through the use of hydroxychloroquine in combination with other therapeutic agents, for prevention of SARS-COV2 infection in high-risk health care workers.
“Unlike a typical commercial drug trial, our objective is to share trial data with the public* and health-care professionals as close to real-time as possible (with a reasonable level of data quality assurance). Given the rapidly spreading coronavirus pandemic, we’re looking for every possible means to fast-track the effort.”
The project is led by Rigano with consulting from Didier Raoult, MD & Ph.D who ran the successful French trials and Dr. Chandra Duggirala, MD who is also the CEO and founder of blockchain project Portal.
- CovidTrial.io – Online Open Data Clinical Trial for COVID-19 Prevention by MD and Blockchain Experts – March 20, 2020
- Virtual Remote Platform Celo Camp Offers Startups $25,000 USD in Contest Prizes to Build Apps on the Celo Blockchain – March 20, 2020
- Ripe Technology and Neogen Team Up to Bring Blockchain to Food Safety and Animal Genomics – March 20, 2020
- HYPE: Bitcoin Trading Now Open via Banca Sella to 1.2 Million Italians Customers During Lockdown – March 20, 2020
- Argentina’s Natural Gas Infrastructure Moving to Blockchain Technology – March 20, 2020
- Banks Shut Down in Venezuela – P2P Bitcoin Trading Surges – March 19, 2020
- Blockchain and AI Technologies Combined to Battle Coronavirus – Covid-19 as Immuno-Oncology Company Mateon Partners with Meridian IT to Fast Track Drug Manufacturing – March 19, 2020
- Blockchain Cryptocurrency Ripple Teams Up With Thai Remittance Payment Company DeeMoney – March 19, 2020
- $50M ‘Blockchain for India’ Fund for Indian Startup Ecosystem Announced by Binance – March 18, 2020
- Hard Fork for Steem Network Set for Friday, March 18, 2020 – New Community Will be Called Hive – March 18, 2020
- Crypto Giant Bakkt Raise $300 million in Series B Funding Round – March 17, 2020
- To Hedge Against BTC’s Volatility, Phemex Launch GOLD/USD Pair to Trade Gold Perpetual Contracts With up To 100X Leverage – March 17, 2020
- Engage Further Backs Blockchain Company Fluree in Seed Extension Round of Financing – March 17, 2020
- Goodyear to Run Blockchain Pilot Supply Chain Programme with Science Applications International Corp – March 16, 2020
- Bitfinex Launches Massive $280m Crypto Hedge Fund for Institutional Investors – March 16, 2020
- Sapien Network Partners With Matic Network To Allow Super-fast, High-performance Transactions – March 16, 2020
- Zilliqa To Launch Zilliqa Dex With Switcheo – March 16, 2020
- Coronavirus Crashes Crypto – March 13, 2020
- Non-Profit Celo Foundation Announces The Launch Of “Alliance For Prosperity” – March 13, 2020
- Two Chinese Nationals Charged with Hacking Cryptocurrency Exchange and Laundering Over $100 Million in Cryptocurrency – March 13, 2020
View All Articles
Credit Source link