Venezuela’s financial sector has been shut down due to government reaction of the current COVID-19 outbreak which has 33 cases have been reported so far. As a result, Peer to Peer (P2P) trading of Bitcoin has exploded in the country according to LocalBitcoins volume in Venezuela from Coindance.
According to a news report out of Venezuela, a spokesperson from La Superintendencia de Instituciones del Sector Bancario (Sudeban) indicated that only a minimum staff will be enabled to maintain the operation of electronic banking.
“The minimum personnel required for the operation and optimal use of ATMs, internet banking, interbank mobile payment, points of sale and any other form of online banking services will be enabled.”
“…the activities of the financial sector will be suspended until further notice, in the midst of the Alert State that Venezuela is going through, as a result of the arrival of the coronavirus.”
Venezuela is already in a socioeconomic and political crisis and is not prepared to face a massive epidemic with already existing and massive shortages of food staples and basic necessities, including medical supplies. On top of that, the mass emigration of Venezuelan doctors has caused hospitals to deal with chronic staff shortages.
Venezuela has also asked the IMF for $5 billion to tackle coronavirus 33 COVID-19 cases have been reported in South American country.
The catastrophe will likely put a massive dent in Venezuela’s own cryptocurrency, the Petro backed by the country’s oil (the Orinoco in Venezuela contains an estimated world-leading 1.2 trillion barrels of oil resources) and gold reserves (Venezuela has the world’s second-largest exploitable gold reserves total an estimated 10,000 tons).
- Banks Shut Down in Venezuela – P2P Bitcoin Trading Surges – March 19, 2020
- Blockchain and AI Technologies Combined to Battle Coronavirus – Covid-19 as Immuno-Oncology Company Mateon Partners with Meridian IT to Fast Track Drug Manufacturing – March 19, 2020
- Blockchain Cryptocurrency Ripple Teams Up With Thai Remittance Payment Company DeeMoney – March 19, 2020
- $50M ‘Blockchain for India’ Fund for Indian Startup Ecosystem Announced by Binance – March 18, 2020
- Hard Fork for Steem Network Set for Friday, March 18, 2020 – New Community Will be Called Hive – March 18, 2020
- Crypto Giant Bakkt Raise $300 million in Series B Funding Round – March 17, 2020
- To Hedge Against BTC’s Volatility, Phemex Launch GOLD/USD Pair to Trade Gold Perpetual Contracts With up To 100X Leverage – March 17, 2020
- Engage Further Backs Blockchain Company Fluree in Seed Extension Round of Financing – March 17, 2020
- Goodyear to Run Blockchain Pilot Supply Chain Programme with Science Applications International Corp – March 16, 2020
- Bitfinex Launches Massive $280m Crypto Hedge Fund for Institutional Investors – March 16, 2020
- Sapien Network Partners With Matic Network To Allow Super-fast, High-performance Transactions – March 16, 2020
- Zilliqa To Launch Zilliqa Dex With Switcheo – March 16, 2020
- Coronavirus Crashes Crypto – March 13, 2020
- Non-Profit Celo Foundation Announces The Launch Of “Alliance For Prosperity” – March 13, 2020
- Two Chinese Nationals Charged with Hacking Cryptocurrency Exchange and Laundering Over $100 Million in Cryptocurrency – March 13, 2020
- Crypto Derivatives Platform Phemex Lands $3.5 Million Investment Round from NGC Ventures Leads – March 12, 2020
- Digital Monetary System Tagion Claims Open Source User-driven Networks Are The Future Of Liquidity In Crypto Assets And Fiat Digitalisation – March 11, 2020
- Caribbean Entrepreneur Builds First System That Allows You To Trade Cryptocurrency From WhatsApp – March 10, 2020
- Leading AdTech Firms Pilot World’s First Blockchain-Powered Digital Out-of-Home Advertising Campaign for Food Delivery Giant foodpanda – March 10, 2020
- Bitcoin Legend Charlie Shrem and BLOCKTV Team up to Bring Untold Stories to the Screen – February 26, 2020
View All Articles
Also published on Medium.
Credit Source link